Friday, August 31, 2012

No regrets for going into fashion designing - Julia



As a fashion designer she takes her ability to mix and match colours to a whole new level. Ama Amankwah Baafi obtains a designer's view of her hard work.

MS Julia Opare, a fashion designer found her calling at an early age. “My mother was a seamstress so right from childhood I had been artistic,” she said.

Julia has come a long way from an ordinary dressmaker to a fashion designer who sketch designs, select fabrics, creates clothing and footwear.

When GRAPHIC BUSINESS spoke to Julia at her workshop at Banana Inn, a suburb of Accra, she said she completed vocation school in 1995 at Kaneshie in Accra.

Known as TRUWORTH Fashions, her products include gents and ladies African wears and African design slippers.

“For about two years I worked at home before I moved to my current place where I have a workshop and a showroom”. Julia said she designs all kinds of wear.

Getting started as a young fashion designer was not easy, let alone getting market for her products, but through the support of the Ghana National Tailors and Dressmakers Association, she was linked with the Ghana Export Promotion Authority (GEPA) and began marketing her products through fairs locally and internationally in 2008.

Julia said she often gets job orders after participating in such fairs, especially outside Ghana and is able to meet demand with staff strength of seven. Apart from participating in fairs facilitated by the GEPA, she takes the initiative to go on her own.

She said she works hard on her collection, particularly for fashion exhibitions as she sees it an opportunity to make the most of.

Passion for creativity is the inspiration for Julia’s collection. “You get to see what was in your mind, and then in your drawing, and then in your pattern, as a finished product.”

Julia looks forward to get funding to expand her work even beyond the borders of Ghana. “Money is the most important because if I have money I can acquire the materials I need and I can work well”.

She could also purchase modern and more machinery to work and employ 15 additional staff.

When asked whether anything about her journey so far has surprised her, she said, “I get surprised about how many people pay attention and recognise my products. Getting calls for orders from people who admire my work and want to collaborate is satisfying”.

She said clients of TRUWORTH Fashions get unique products; excellent finishing, promptness and on time delivery.

So what advice would Julia give to younger ones who want to start a fashion design career? “Starting a fashion career is not a fast-paced thing, but if you love it, stay with it. You must be creative and you should also stay true to your vision”.

However, Julia feels strongly that most young people of today are not interested in learning such vocations such as fashion designing because it is not fast-paced. “I have tried several times to get people to train for free but they have not been cooperative”.

The 38 year old mother of three said she has never regretted going into fashion designing because it is lucrative. “I began fashion designing with my twin sister but she stopped along the lines and now she tells me she has regretted and wish she could turn back the hand of time. I can say I am able to immensely support my husband financially. Everything I have now I got it from my work”.

She was full of praise for her husband who she said has been very supportive, especially taking care of the children when she is away on a business trip.

Though grateful for the support from the GEPA and the Ministry of Trade and Industry so far, she appealed more from them and other stakeholders in the creative industry to come on board so people like her in the industry can make it.

“Made in Ghana goods are held in high esteem outside Ghana so if it is promoted it will contribute to economic development”.



No comments: